Yes! High Intensity Interval Training! HIIT
I believe the hardest thing for me in my entire missionary experience is waiting 2 months for BletJhaw to recover enough to return to BYT. I am happy knowing we are in God’s will, but what would the Lord have me to do during this down time? Sure, I usually go to America for 2 months during this exact time, but there I am busy visiting family and preaching in churches. Now there is nothing for me to do and this year I really miss seeing my boys and my sister and speak English to American people! But Paul says: “Whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.” Phil 4:11 And: “Be content with such things as ye have for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee!” Hebrews 13:5 So God is here and it is a valuable time for me to grow closer to Him, pray and prepare for my further work in BYT.
As usual, the sick always find me wherever I am, and God gave me opportunity to encourage and help the sick!
Then I found Barbara O’Neill, an Australian lady who is exactly my age! She and her husband run “Misty Mountain Health Retreat,” in Australia. I began to listen to her health lectures on YouTube and was magnetically attracted to the inspirational things she so simply and clearly presented! I discovered that many things I learned in nursing school – things the medical world practices, is a myth! Things such as:
- Putting patients on cholesterol lowering medication if their levels reach 200. The body, especially the brain needs cholesterol. It cannot function without cholesterol. Since patients have been using the cholesterol lowering medication you see a sharp rise in dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, memory loss, breast cancer to name a few. And who says LDL was the bad type of Cholesterol? The body doesn’t make anything that is bad for you.
- Salt: The low sodium diet for HTN (Hypertension)is wrong. The body needs salt. We cry salt, we sweat salt, we urinate salt. Use Himalayan salt or Celtic salt, which has 82 minerals in it. Drink 8 glasses of water a day and with it eat a crystal of Celtic/Himalayan salt! It will stop the swelling in your legs and feet. Use it in your cooking.
- Fats: It is not fats in the diet that cause you to gain weight and produce atherosclerosis, it is the wrong type of fats. Our bodies need fats. The brain in particular needs fat. People go on a fat free diet, but it doesn’t work, they still have strokes and heart attacks.
- Calcium for bones: There is no calcium in bones. Bones are made up of 12 different minerals and none of them are calcium. Cows milk is not good for bones or humans!
The body was made to heal itself if given the right conditions. Three of the right conditions are found in the diet. Go on a plant based diet, and eliminate these three things:
- Carbohydrates. This is all gluten, breads, pancakes, cake, pastries, muffins, cookies, biscuits, pasta, processed foods, even rice and potatoes. The reason to avoid all gluten including whole wheat and white flour, is that since the 1990’s a hybridized wheat was invented which has a fatter stem and produces much more grain. This hybridized wheat is composed of hard, thick cells and takes a cast iron stomach to digest it. This is why so many people have developed gluten intolerance now. There are some non-gluten grains that are good and breads made with sour dough are better for digestion.
- Dairy. Humans do not need dairy and cows milk. That is produced for the little calves who have 5 stomachs to digest it.It is not good for you and it does not contain calcium anyway!
- Sugar. It is a toxin to the body.
These three things are what is causing strokes, heart attacks , obesity and atherosclerosis! So what do I eat? Good question:
Of course it is very good to have generous amounts of legumes, fruits and vegetables. Fats/oil that breakdown easily when heated should not be used, but coconut oil and olive oil have a solid fatty acid chain and can handle more heat if you want to fry and cook with it. Use the fats in raw nuts, raw seeds, avocado, extra virgin coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil.
I could go on and on! And I will go on and on with this because they have asked me to teach a class in the MaeSot Karen Adventist Seminary school on health and natural remedies. Thanks to Barbara O’Neill I have a lot of very helpful things to teach them.
I have also learned about exercise! As you know I LOVE exercise and have been extremely active all my life. Up until now I have run 2 miles almost every single morning. But I found out that long runs just wear down your body and it tries to defend and protect itself! What really increases your strength and promotes health to all your organs is HIIT: High Intensity Interval training! Instead of taking 30-40 mins in the morning to run long distances, I only need about 12 minutes! Run uphill as fast and hard as you can for 30 seconds, then walk or jog back down the hill for 30 seconds or one minute, then repeat the mad dash up the hill for 30 seconds. I thought, wow, 30 seconds is too easy, but when I challenged the sheer and steep mountain in front of our house in BYT I found myself huffing and puffing, tongue hanging out and feel like dying! That is good! That is high intensity! Do this 6 times. Finished! Take a cold bath, drink water and begin your day! You probably will not get diabetes living like this because the pancreas produces more insulin, and all the organs are stimulated into good health.
Seeing as how I had more time on my hands than usual, I also added a 30 minute HIIT workout in the afternoon. I downloaded some very good workout sessions on my computer and added weights to my hands! And that’s not all! I got a rebounder! This mini trampoline is a must for everybody! Only 10 minutes a day increases your strength and cleans out your lymphatic system! Your lymph system is a network of vessels much like the veins and arteries only it carries lymphocytes which act like brooms to sweep away all toxins, poisons and waste from your body. The rebounder is the only thing that really helps your lymphatic system. As you jump up and reach the height of the jump, all the little “gates” in the lymph vessels open. At the bottom of the jump they all close, thus your circulation and health improves, and you get stronger! It does so much more than this, just look up Barbara O’Neill on HIIT exercise and all her other topics. It will not be a waste of your time!! I have already given 3 rebounders away when I talk to people around me about good health they want to try it! They make great gifts!
Now I am returning to BYT to resume my work. I am strong! I have always felt very good every day, but now I feel supper good, super strong and fit! I see a difference in walking to villages, working with the villagers, climbing the mountains, and even hanging onto the back of that motorbike for hours! My left knee used to have a little pain after about an hour of riding. When I had to suddenly jump off and walk down the muddy hill it would take some time to work it out. Now I have no more trouble with anything! I am even memorizing the Bible quicker and found a new love for memorizing scripture! I am so thankful to God for the health and strength that I enjoy, especially in this work that He has called me to do because it is quite strenuous most every day! I am also so thankful for BletJhaw because for the first time in 6 years he is now able to begin an exercise program and has no more pain, or intervals when he has to lay down and rest! He is getting stronger every day. We just cannot contain ourselves from singing God’s praises and sharing His love in our medical missionary work!
I plead with God to be faithful, that though I am least of the least of all the saints, that I will be together with Jesus in heaven at last. My secret longing is to be translated without seeing death, but should He lay me to rest before that great day of the Lord, I pray that I will be as Moses when he died; “His eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated.” Deuteronomy 34:7 He was strong and climbed up the ruggedly rocky, high, Mount Nebo to the top of Pisgah. Where the Lord laid him to rest.
“There arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face.” Deuteronomy 34:10